Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: OT: Your favorite $10 DVD's

  1. #1
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Seems like a good deal to buy these things when they are at that price. Some blockbuster videostores charge $4 per rental around here, but I have the rewards program for $10 a year that gives me rent one get one free Mon-Wed., one free rental a month and more. So if they are good you are almost better off buying them in the long-run.

    Anyway, I've bought 'Miami Blues' with Jennifer Jason Leigh, Alec Baldwin, and Fred Ward for $9 at Circuit City. My friend loaned me 'Fright Night' and I need to get that one too...

    What are your good views/buys lately?

  2. #2
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    I bought the first "Superman" movie on DVD for $10 on the day I purchased my DVD player in June of 2001. Not a bad buy at that price as the DVD was loaded with special features (commentary with the director and screenwriter, outtakes, cut scenes, screen tests, etc.)

    Tom

  3. #3
    Inactive Member lightfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28th, 2002
    Posts
    217
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My best new cheap buys (about $10) are:

    The Shawshank Redemption
    Shine
    The Usual Suspects
    Together (Lukas Moodysson - Swedish)

    All great films, I believe!

    I've bought some real swines at this price too, on recomendations, or because I've never seen them and thought I should have, and they've turned out to be a load of clangers!

    Lucas

    P.S. to UK DVD buyers - check out www.splashdvd.com - cheap Jersey DVD mailing service - highly recommended!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by lightfeat:
    [QB]"I've bought some real swines at this price too, on recomendations, or because I've never seen them and thought I should have, and they've turned out to be a load of clangers!"

    Lucas

    QB]</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Tell me about it!
    There are a lot of highly overrated films out there, if you ask me.
    For instance, I bought Barry Lyndon, because I just KNEW it was this brilliant classic film, from all the articles I've read about it, etc.
    Really, really boring film.
    I mean, it was OK, but I have no idea why it is worshipped the way it is.
    Basically "after school special" quality, in my opinion.

    Matt Pacini

  5. #5
    Inactive Member chaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Good, the bad, and the ugly.

    An Eastwood classic. One of the so-called 'spaghetti westerns'.

    One of the few movies that I have watched several times.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There are so many so called "classics" that are bad sometimes even from brilliant directors. I wouldn't call Wes Craven 'brilliant', but I certainly expected something more from "Last House on the Left". What a misogynistic load of crap that was! He even makes H.G Lewis look together on that one....

    I like to go back to all the 2:35 widescreen movies and watch them on DVD if I have a chance. I find myself collecting a lot at this point sometimes because they aren't available to rent yet.

    Other boring films from good directors; anything from John Boorman lately i.e. 'The Taylor of Panama' (should have seen it coming), even Altman's 'Gosford Park' was dull and pretty ridiculous. I have been stalling on renting 'Barry Lyndon' cause even the cover looks dull!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member lightfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28th, 2002
    Posts
    217
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Gosford Park wasn't exciting, but it was interresting to see an impression of how the class system used to be over here in England in those times - and it was all done in a refreshingly un-American way by an American - I mean that Altman didn't fall into that tedious trap of portraying the British in terms of American cliches (evil English, true git Scots, "up for the crack" Irish etc.- think Braveheart). I have great respect for Altman. (unlike Gibson)

    Who'se seen "Catch Me If You Can"? I thought it rocked! Spielberg is the all time master of Adventure. It was like Indiana Jones for grown-ups! I was entertained and lifted - doesn't happen too much these days.

    Lucas

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Jodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ooh i got "the fast and the furious" and "final fantasy" together for $36AUS. that was the bast dvd buy. also "Run Lola Run" for $16Aus and the original Japanese "Ring" for $17Aus.
    i really wanna get "monsters inc" and "The city of lost children". my taste is diverese.
    hey has anyone seen "rabbit proof fence"? Just wondered what an international audience thought of it?

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    Going through my collection I find three DVD for which I paid $10 or less. They are:
    <ul type="square">[*]diCaprio version of The Man in the Iron Mask[*]Thelma and Louise[*]Zulu
    [/list]I like Thelma and Louise the best.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member calgodot's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 8th, 2001
    Posts
    145
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I got DRUGSTORE COWBOY for $10 at Borders. Also picked up FAHRENHEIT 451 for $10.

    BARRY LYNDON is worshiped for many reasons. Not the least of these is the fact that it was photographed almost entirely in natural light; John Alcott won the Academy Award for Best Cinematography. It is also worshiped for its production design, which garbered Oscars in both art decoration/set decoration and costume design.

    Personally, I find it a rather ploddingly paced film, beautifuly photographed but otherwise unengaging.

    I highly recommend CHOPPER. It's the mostly true story of Mark "Chopper" Read, a legendary Australian criminal. Fine portrayal of a very psychotic character.

    http://us.imdb.com/Title?0221073

    The new Criterion DVD of FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS is awesome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •